Downtown Chicago shopping just got a whole lot smarter- Ross Dress for Less hit the Loop on October 10th! I had the privilege of attending the pre-opening party on October 9th and couldn’t believe that I hit the jackpot in the “treasure hunt.”
You see, Ross believes that shopping off-price is a fashion and home decor treasure hunt. Since their prices are 20-60% off department store prices, finding that perfect piece at an even more perfect price is like finding fashion gold. You know the feeling- you spy the item that will elevate this season’s look from “basic everyday” to “I basically want to wear this EVERY day!”
My fellow fashionistas and I were set loose inside the sparking new Ross store, located at 26 E. Randolph near State St.
I first checked out the shoe selection- stellar! From boots to booties to heels, they had everything this shoe lover could want, paying extra special attention to the fact that we live in the Midwest and are done with strappy sandal weather.
I moved on to the bags, which were unbelievably affordable. I found a lovely laptop case that I almost bought at a department store recently- for about half the price. There was also a special designer section that I will be putting on my holiday list this year.
Where I live, outwear rules for about 9+ months out of the year. I always make purchasing a great cold-weather coat a priority, and this year is no exception since the weather prediction isn’t pretty. As my eyes roamed the sea of gorgeous coats, I spied a bright white flash of wool. As soon as I tried this beauty on I knew it was coming home with me!! Chic, elegant, and perfect for all those holiday events where you never take your coat off because it is too freezing.
To accent my look, I circled the jewelry counter. They had everything- trendy statement pieces, classic staples, even goods for men…all at a price I could afford. I grabbed a pearl and gold chain piece- it would jazz up my LBD in a snap! I have also been searching for a chronograph watch to layer with other arm candy, and found the perfect one in rose gold for around $15. This was the (rose) gold in my treasure hunt!!
How about updating your home office? Wouldn’t you just ADORE this black and white damask print chair? Or maybe a hot pink ottoman?
To be an expert shopper, you either need to have experience, luck, or a friend who knows their stuff. Here are some of my favorite tips, use them at your nearest Ross!
Here are my own personal Secrets of Bargain Hunter:
- Don’t stop at your “section”- I found an adorable navy wool and black leather moto jacket in the Junior’s department at Ross for under $20!
- When looking for shoes, make sure to check the endcaps or free-standing tables in addition to your size section. They will usually have a full size run of one on-trend style of shoe!
- Ask the sales associates what their favorite finds are- they see all the merchandise coming in and going out so they know what’s hot.
- Shop early in the day and shop often. I frequently pop in at a store on my way to an event- it makes a great traffic break.
- If you see it and love it, get it. It won’t be there when you change your mind!
- Love an item but it doesn’t fit quite right? Take it to a tailor. Spend the savings you get at Ross on having a gorgeous item expertly tailored. Fit is everything!
- Invest in items you will own forever- leather coats/bags, classic watches, timeless shoes. Skimp on trendy items each season.
- Leave the kids at home if you can. I started going shopping after I put my little ones to bed so I wouldn’t grab the closest item and make a run for the checkout. Many Ross stores are open late- some are even open until 10:30 or 11! Check the website for times.
How do you plan to Dress for Less this season?
Disclosure: I was provided with a gift card to Ross in order to purchase items for review at their store. All opinions are honest and my own.