Thank your to Minute® Rice for sponsoring today's post!
One of my favorite things to do on a daily basis is cook. I try to find recipes that are healthy, easy and that everyone in the family will enjoy. That sounds easy, right? It can be tough sometimes. Soup is one of my favorite things to make because I can prepare it before everyone gets home. We can eat it as a family after everyone gets home from work and their after school activities. I recently was invited to a Minute® Rice Vintage Christmas party and I need to bring a dish using Minute® Whole Grain Brown Rice. I wanted to create a soup using the whole grain rice that was wholesome and hearty. The Whole Grain rice, has the same nutritional values as regular long cooking brown rice but ready in ten minutes! It is also gluten, preservative and MSG free. Minute® Rice is a staple in our pantry. I can easily add it to chicken taco bowls, soups etc.. for our entire family to enjoy!
If you are looking for a hearty soup that will warm the soul this winter, look no further! I have to tell you that everyone in my family raved about this soup! My husband actually said "This is the best soup you have ever made!" It is super easy to make, hearty and nutritious.
- Tablespoon olive oil
- half of a medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- Half a pound of sweet Italian sausage (I removed casing)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup brown lentil
- 1 cup Minute Whole Grain Brown Rice
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, and fennel. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in raw the sweet Italian sausage, cook on medium heat, breaking up the sausage until browned.
- Add the bay leaves, chicken broth, water, bullion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the lentils.
- Simmer uncovered until the lentils are cooked about 20 minutes.
- In a small pot cook the 1 cup rice per directions.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the rice once it is cooked.
- Add the spinach. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese and enjoy!
I headed to the Vintage Christmas event at Maggie's house from Love Nerds with my soup in tow! It was the perfect way to get into theholiday spirit, network with fellow bloggers, enjoy great food and of course swap recipes!
If you know me I am a big foodie. I love hearing the storiesthat center around food. Chicago is made up of a lot of different cultures. During the holiday's the different cultures are vey apparent as they each have their own special foods that are important to them. My soup felt like a modern spin on an Italian wedding soup. My favorite recipe of the day was Rice pudding. I am not sure if I have even had it before but felt like a perfect dish to enjoy during the holiday's! A few guests raved about my soup and that always feel good to hear that people enjoy what you prepared!
The Horchata bar was a very nice touch! I enjoyed a ice coffee topped with horchata in a mason jar with a festive straw, of course!
I left feeling inspired and ready to create some special meals for my family!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Rice.